There will always be the ongoing debate between the best electric fillet knife and the manual filet knife that fishermen have depended on for years. Those on the side of the manual are just as vocal as those who prefer electric. There are some similarities between the knives as well as differences.
- Both will fillet a fish cleanly
- Both have flexible blades
- A manual blade allows you to cut along the rib cage to cleanly remove the meat.
- An electric blade requires you to cut through the ribs and remove the ribcage at a later point.
- Your hand is the power source for the manual blade. Properly filleting fish requires practice and skill.
- Electricity is the power source for the electric fillet knife (Duh, right?) and can fillet the fish faster than manual for some people.
- For the experienced fisherman, who has perfected the task of filleting, the electric knife may be slower for them than the manual knife.
- Electric knives are not suitable unless you have a power source
- Manual knives are suitable in any situation (camping, boating, any place with no electricity)
Table of Contents
- Top 3 – Best Electric Fillet Knives
- Top 7 Best Electric Fillet Knife Reviews in 2020
- What Makes a Good Fillet Knife
- Final Thoughts
Top 3 – Best Electric Fillet Knives
|Cuisinart Electric Knife||Check Price|
|Black & Decker Electric Knife||Check Price|
|American Angler Pro||Check Price|
Top 7 Best Electric Fillet Knife Reviews in 2020
If you need an angler’s best cordless electric fillet knife, consider the Cuisinart CEK-40 Cordless Electric Knife. The CEK-40 is a wonderful addition to any kitchen, campsite, or tackle box. The knife is powered by two 7.8-volt lithium batteries that are rechargeable and offer a convenient alternative to the manual knife.
Now a universally recognized name, Cuisinart was introduced in America in 1973. Cuisinart has operated under management from Conair Corporation since 1989 and remains on the forefront of the kitchen appliance industry. Cuisinart is committed to providing consumers with top-quality, innovative, and functional products that make their lives easier.
- Full charge provides 20 minutes of run time
- Recharges in 30 minutes
- Includes a 7.75-inch serrated knife for bread and meat
- Includes a 7.75-inch fillet knife for fruits, vegetables, and filleting fish
- Sturdy storage case protects the knife and makes it easily transportable
- Ergonomic design allows comfortable use in either hand
- Blade safety sheath for each blade
- The plastic casing is prone to cracking with use
Black & Decker has been a household name for over a century. Not only is Black & Decker known for small appliances used in the home, but also power tools and lawn care. In 1910, two entrepreneurs opened a machine shop. You can count on Black & Decker to provide you with the most innovative products for your kitchen, your garage, your yard, and your fish-cleaning table.
The Black & Decker EK Slice Right Electric Knife is one of the best electric fish fillet knives available. The two 7.75-inch blades are made of stainless steel and easily cut though meats, breads, fruits, vegetables, and fillet your catch of the day. The ergonomic handle helps to increase comfort and give you more control over the blade as you fillet.
- Safety Lock Button prevents the knife from accidentally turning on
- Blades are easy to remove with a one-touch blade release button
- Removeable blades are dishwasher safe
- Non-slip handle prevents drops while slicing
- Two 9-inch serrated blades
- May not be suitable for smaller hands
Also Read: How To Sharpen A Serrated Knife
For over 30 years, American Angler has provided fishermen with high-quality, durable fillet knives and accessories. They began by manufacturing bait knives, moved on to fillet knives, and introduced the first motorized fillet knife system in the 1990s.
Today, the American Angler PRO Electric Fillet Knife is one of the best-rated electric fillet knives by commercial, professional, and hobby fishermen. Rest easy knowing that the American Angler PRO is one of the toughest and most durable electric knives on the market.
The revolutionary design, precision engineering, and master craftsmanship provides every fisherman with the three things they desire the most in an electric fillet knife – more torque, more power, and a longer-lasting product – making it one of the best electric fillet knives for fish. Corrosion-resistant stainless-steel blades makes the American Angler PRO perfect for freshwater and saltwater fish.
The blades are 8 inches long, which makes them ideal for almost any size fish, and tough enough to cut through the scales and skin of larger freshwater fish. If you have ever been lucky enough to catch a Bull Red (Red Drum), you can understand the frustration of trying to cut through the large, tough scales to get to the meat. Speaking from experience, that alone can be quite the adventure.
- Power cord is 8 feet long
- Engineered venting combined with a cooling fan to prevent knife from overheating
- Reciprocating, 2-blade action
- Compatible with any American Angler fillet knife replacement blade
- Ergonomic handle provides comfort for fillet jobs that take a while
- The operating trigger can be difficult to squeeze
The Mister Twister Electric Fisherman Fillet Knife is one of the angler’s best electric fillet knife choices. Designed specifically with the fisherman in mind, the Mister Twister has everything an avid fisherman is looking for in a fillet knife. The contoured handle fits comfortably in your hand for more control as you fillet your catch.
For over 46 years, Mister Twister has been at the forefront of the soft plastic fishing lure industry. From its humble beginnings in a small, northern Louisiana town – melting plastic in a pressure cooker and pouring into molds – to the innovative, high-quality line of fishing tackle and supplies available today, Mister Twister continues to make its mark in the fishing world.
- Lightweight handle provides better control
- Heavy duty motor provides more power
- Extra sharp blades make filleting your fish fast and easy
- Expandable, curly power cord gives you room to move as you fillet
- High-impact motor housing protects the motor from damage
- Features a safety lock to prevent accidents
- Quick blade release for convenient clean up
- Overheats if you use it too long
The Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife is one of the best electric fillet knives for panfish – or any other fish. This heavy-duty knife has three times the power and twice the speed of most standard fillet knives on the market.
The 8-foot power cord offers plenty of room to move around while cleaning your catch. Lauri Rapala, a Finnish fisherman, made his first lure using cork. His goal was to mimic the small, injured bait fish that he observed the big fish feeding on. In 1959, Rapala lures are introduced in the US.
Today, Rapala offers a line of quality products that covers multiple fishing tackle categories, including lures, hooks, knives, tools, storage, and accessories. With factories in Finland, Ireland, France, Estonia, and China, Rapala distributes products to over 140 countries worldwide.
- Advanced Air Flow System prevents overheating
- Quiet, heavy-duty motor
- 7 1/2 -inch reciprocating stainless steel blades – the right size for most filleting tasks
- 8-foot long power cord allows you plenty of freedom around the fillet table
- Relaxed-grip handle minimizes fatigue when filleting
- Blades are dish-washer safe for easy cleanup
- There can be a good amount of vibration when filleting
From another well-known name in the fishing world, the Berkley Electric Fillet Knife is one of the best electric fillet knives for saltwater fish. Berkley began in 1937 with a teenage boy and $50.00 from his paper route earnings.
Using hair from the family dog and feathers from the chickens in the backyard, Berkley Bedell sat in his bedroom and created fishing flies to sell to local fishermen and tourists. From that humble beginning, Berkley became one of the most well-known names in the fishing tackle industry.
Saltwater fishing requires corrosion-resistant material to fight off the rust and corrosion associated with a saltwater environment. The Berkley Electric Fillet Knife come with two 8-inch stainless steel blades and runs on 110 V power for maximum performance and durability.
- Blade release buttons are on the side to prevent accidental release while filleting
- Includes carrying case for maximum portability
- Corrosion-resistant 8-inch stainless steel blades
- Trigger lock to prevent knife starting when you are not expecting it
- Includes three adapters – 110V standard plug, 12V vehicle plug, and clips that attach to a battery
- The most common complaint is the power cord is not long enough
Whether you are a saltwater or freshwater fisherman (or both), there is one thing every fisherman needs – a fillet knife that is sharp and sturdy enough to handle your catch. The Mister Twister Piranha Knife is one of the best saltwater and freshwater electric fillet knives on the market.
Featuring 25% more torque and 15% more speed than other electric fillet knives, the Piranha easily cuts through tough scales and the thick skin of trophy freshwater or saltwater fish. Gone are the days of scaling your fish with a spoon – this fillet knife cuts right through them, eliminating that time-consuming process.
The Mister Twister Piranha Blade is one of the sharpest and strongest blades available for saltwater fish. Saltwater fish can have tougher skin than freshwater fish – and many have large scales that must be cut through. If you hook into a trophy saltwater fish and get it in, you want a fillet knife that can handle the job.
- 9-inch stainless-steel blades fillet the trophy fish as well as the smaller fish
- Expandable cord for easier maneuverability
- Tested and approved by professional fishing guides
- Easier cuts through tough skins and scales of saltwater fish
- Corrosion-resistant fixed blade
- Blade release button can be accidentally pushed while filleting
What Makes a Good Fillet Knife
Whether you choose an electric fillet knife or a manual fillet knife is often a matter of preference and experience. Younger fishermen may prefer an electric knife because it is easy to learn how to use and it is faster than a manual. However, there are a few things that should be considered no matter which knife you choose.
The size of the fish you are fishing for will determine the size of the knife. Of course, it goes without saying, small knife for small fish and a large knife for large fish. The common rule is not to use a knife that is 2 inches longer or shorter than the fish you catch. A good size that works with most fish is a 7-inch knife.
The type of steel used for the blade can play a vital role in the performance of the knife. The type of steel can determine the following factors: flexibility, how easy it is to sharpen, edge retention, and the overall life of your fillet knife.
As most of us know, some types of steel are more prone to rusting. Below is a list of the most common types of steel used for knives:
- Plain Carbon Steel – rusts easily
- Alloy Steel – tougher than plain carbon
- Tool Steel – harder than other steel
- Stainless Steel – highest quality alloy steel
- Titanium – does not hold an edge as well as other types
Flexibility is, perhaps, one of the most important aspects of a fillet knife. The smoothest fillet cuts are made with a flexible blade. The blade should be flexible enough to cut smoothly along the spine and ribs of the fish with breaking.
Many factors determine the durability of your fillet knife. The largest factor is you – or, specifically, how well you take care of your knife. The type of steel can also determine durability. Softer steel does not hold an edge and must be sharpened more often.
However, hard steel may be less flexible and more prone to breaking. There are advantages and disadvantages to each type of steel. The most vital aspect of owning a good fillet knife is how you care for it and store it.
As you can see throughout the article, some of the most important aspects of a good fillet knife are the material and length of the blade, the comfort of the handle for long filleting sessions, and the ability of the knife to run for long periods without overheating. After considering these aspects, I feel the American Angler PRO Electric Fillet Knife is the best electric fillet knife from this group.
One thing that sets it apart is the venting system and cooling fan. This combination allows you to fillet for long periods without worrying about the motor becoming too hot. If your cooler is full, you definitely do not want your knife to give out before you are finished. The ergonomic handle makes it comfortable in your hands and gives you more control over your movements.
This results in nicer fillets and less wasted meat. The stainless steel 8-inch reciprocating blades are easy to remove and easy to clean once your job is complete. No matter which knife you select from the reviews, one of the most important aspects of using any knife – manual or electric – is safety. Always, in everything you do, safety first.
Knife Safety Tips
- Never touch the knife blade.
- Do not use a fillet knife while distracted – this can easily result in cuts.
- Never try to catch a falling knife.
- Only use a knife for its intended purpose.
- Store knives properly – never leave the blade exposed.
- Cut away from your body.
- Use protective gloves to prevent cuts.
- Immediately clean and store knife after use
First Aid for Cuts
Call 911 Immediately if:
- The cut is bleeding severely
- Blood is spurting out with your heartbeat
- You cannot stop the bleeding within 10 minutes
Treating a Cut:
- Apply direct pressure to the area to stop the bleeding.
- Clean the cut with gentle soap and warm water.
- Apply antibiotic ointment to decrease the chance of the cut becoming infected.
- Place a sterile bandage on the cut.
One of the most common tips for fishing safety is never fish alone. If you do not have a friend or family member fishing with you, be sure to fish in a populated area – a pier or other area frequented by fishermen. Fish safely and fillet safely!