It’s probably impossible to find a household without a knife these days, but what you have isn’t really a knife if the cutting edge isn’t really sharp enough. That’s why you really should try to find the best electric knife sharpener you can get.
Finding the best electric knife sharpener can take a lot of time, as you’ll need to read every electric knife sharpener reviews you can find so that you can find the best rated electric knife sharpener for your needs. We’ve made that process easier for you by offering a list of excellent electric knife sharpener reviews best options, as well as additional tips to help you narrow down your choices.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Electric Knife Sharpeners in 2020
- At A Glance: Our Choices for The Best Electric Knife Sharpener
- Top 10 Best Electric Knife Sharpener Reviews in 2020
- 1. Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
- 2. Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener
- 3. Chef’sChoice 1520 AngleSelect Diamond Hone Electric Knife Sharpener
- 4. Chef’sChoice 120 Diamond Hone EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
- 5. Work Sharp Wood Tool Sharpener
- 6. Presto Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
- 7. SunrisePro Supreme Knife Sharpener
- 8. EdgeKeeper Electric Knife Sharpener
- 9. Shenzhen Knives Electric Diamond Knife Sharpener
- 10. Gourmia Electric Diamond Knife Sharpener
- Taking a Closer Look at on Knife Sharpening
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Electric Knife Sharpeners in 2020
|Image||Product name||Features||View on Amazon|
|Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener||Check Price|
|Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener||Check Price|
|Chef’sChoice 1520 AngleSelect Diamond Hone Electric Knife Sharpener||Check Price|
|Chef’sChoice EdgeSelect 120 Diamond Hone Electric Knife Sharpener||Check Price|
|Work Sharp Wood Tool Sharpener||Check Price|
|Presto Electric Knife Sharpener||Check Price|
|SunrisePro Supreme Knife Sharpener||Check Price|
|EdgeKeeper Electric Knife Sharpener||Check Price|
|Shenzhen Knives Electric Diamond Knife Sharpener||Check Price|
|Gourmia Electric Diamond Knife Sharpener||Check Price|
At A Glance: Our Choices for The Best Electric Knife Sharpener
Chef’s Choice Trizor XV. This works very quickly so that you get the sharpness in 5 seconds that’s similar to the sharpness you get after using wet stones for 30 minutes. This is designed for 15-degree knives, or for people who want to use turn 20-degree knives into Asian-style knives.
Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition. If you have lots of different knives and other blades to sharpen, this is what you can buy because it sharpens just about anything. Chef’s Choice 1520. This one is for both Asian and Western knives, and if you use it properly you can also sharpen serrated knives too. Again it’s easy to use, and there’s a 3-year warranty.
Chef’s Choice 120. This works for gourmet knives, fillet knives, or even for hunting knives. It again has that Chef’s Choice sharpness and a 3-year warranty. Work Sharp WS3000. This is mainly designed for sharpening woodworking tools. If your chisels aren’t as fine as they once were, this can turn back the clock.
Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener. Despite the low price, this is versatile enough to handle even yard maintenance tools as well as your kitchen knives. SunrisePro Knife Sharpener. When you want to go manual, this is what many consider as the easiest to use with the best results.
Top 10 Best Electric Knife Sharpener Reviews in 2020
1. Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
This is set at 15 degrees, and it’s meant for double-bevel or single-bevel 15-degree class knives. You can also use it to convert your 20-degree knives to 15 degrees, so that they cut more effectively and last longer too.
This uses a 3-stage process that doesn’t remove too much metal from your knives, so it can help your knives last longer. The first two stages use diamond abrasives, while the third stage uses a flexible abrasive stropping disk for a smooth and sharp cutting edge.
This third stage stropping disk can also be used to sharpen your serrated knives too. This means you can also use it for your bread knives. You may want to check out the review of the best electric knife sharpener America’s Test Kitchen conducted for this model. It’s so highly regarded that it even topped the knife sharpener category for Cooks Illustrated in 2015.
2. Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener
If you wish to know how to sharpen electric knife blades and at the same time you’re also looking for the best electric hunting knife sharpener, you may get this and hit two birds with one stone. You can hit a whole flock of metaphorical birds, actually, since this can be used for any type of blade.
This comes with a sharpening angle that you can adjust from 15 to 30 degrees. You just need to turn a knob and you can set the angle in 1-degree increments.
You can use this for yard tools, fishing knives lawn mower blades, axes, machetes, and pen knives. In fact, there’s a built-in scissor guide too at 65 degrees. You just have to make sure that you follow the instructions. Many of those who have had trouble with it were those who just used it on their own.
3. Chef’sChoice 1520 AngleSelect Diamond Hone Electric Knife Sharpener
Using this is simple. There’s a dedicated slot for the Asian knives and other slot for the American or European knives (Source). The third slot is for the finishing touches for both types of knives.
Again, that third slot is what you also use if you want to sharpen your serrated knives.
4. Chef’sChoice 120 Diamond Hone EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
Once again we have the familiar Chef’s Choice features. We have the diamond abrasives, the 3-stage process, and there’s a 3-year warranty. This time, though, the knife sharpener designers realized that people may have all kinds of knives aside from just Asian knives and Western-style knives.
This time, you have a knife sharpener that’s good for both gourmet knives and butcher-type knives. This really works with serrated knives, and you can even sharpen hunting knives with this.
5. Work Sharp Wood Tool Sharpener
Yes, it’s quite expensive, isn’t it? But that’s because this electric sharpener isn’t really just for knives. When you take a look at it, you’ll see that there are no slots where you can put your knives and have it sharpened for you.
Instead, you have a spinning wheel against which you touch the blades so you can sharpen them. With this design, you may probably realize that you can sharpen thicker and larger knives. In fact, you can use this to sharpen all your woodworking tools.
That’s basically the main purpose of this sharpener. If you’re a woodworker who needs to maintain the sharpness of your carving tools, lathe tools, plane irons, and chisels, then this is what you need.
6. Presto Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
With this, you also have a 3-stage sharpening process, though for some the first stage isn’t necessary for knives unless it’s really dull or it has nicks. But that 1st stage is great when you want to use the sharpener for your yard tools.
You’re going to have to practice your sharpening skills with this unit. That means you also need to learn to wipe your blades clean of any metal filings before you proceed to the next stage to keep the blade guides clean.
7. SunrisePro Supreme Knife Sharpener
This is a manual sharpener. So why is it on this list? That’s simple; we just want to show you that it’s not always absolutely imperatives that your sharpener is electric. At the same time, we also want to illustrate the advantage of using electric sharpeners.
With this, you can sharpen your affordable and mid-range knives with ease. It doesn’t work with 15-degree Asian knives. Instead, it only works for the wider angle of the Western chef knives.
8. EdgeKeeper Electric Knife Sharpener
Made with diamond-coated sharpening wheels, EdgeKeeper’s sharpener is among the best electric knife sharpener reviews today show. It is made for carbon steel and stainless steel blades. I wouldn’t use it on ceramic knives. But in most restaurants, it’s still not common to see ceramic knives. I know what I prefer and this sharpener can be by my side for most of my knives.
The 2-stage process only takes a few seconds. Often seen as the best electric knife sharpener for its compact size, the EdgeKeeeper is also a product that sharpens fast. Preliminary sharpening needs to be made on all blades. Final sharpening is ensured during the second stage of the process. Furthermore, the sharpener may only be used on its second stage wheels with knives sharpened often.
In terms of limitations, there are a few to consider as well. This sharpener doesn’t work on ceramic knives, as noted above. But you should also keep your scissors away from it as well for safety purposes. Sporting knives are also not to be considered. It’s strictly made for kitchen knives sharpening and this purpose, it does its job. Made to collect metal shavings, it can be used even indoors safely.
9. Shenzhen Knives Electric Diamond Knife Sharpener
This electric knife sharpener is made to a high standard at a very low price. Based on a popular 2-stage sharpening process, it delivers more than many would expect. For the price, it cannot come with stainless steel construction. But its plastic case does its job while also keeping its weight quite low.
But it’s not about its case at this low price. As one of the best electric kitchen knife sharpeners, it offers reliable blades for the perfect slices of meat or vegetables. 2 grinding stones are represented in its sharpening stages. The first stone has 600-grit suitable for the rougher part of the sharpening process. The second stone has finer 800-grit, suitable for the finishing touches on the blades.
It only takes a few seconds to have the knives sharp as a result. It is also a simple process in which kitchen porters may learn to do themselves. Two angles need to be mastered according to the type of blade. But both at 18 degrees and at 20 degrees, it represents a valuable design for practicality. There’s a simple on/off button to control the entire process.
If you have ceramic knives, you might not need anything else. At home, this sharpener is also reliable. Given it comes with top performance on a budget, it may even replace multiple honing stones as well.
10. Gourmia Electric Diamond Knife Sharpener
I like this best rated electric knife sharpener because it’s very easy to use. I’ve even used 5-stage sharpeners before and I can appreciate its results based on its simplicity. Its 2-stage knife sharpening is intuitive. You simply place the blade of the knife inside the knife guide and pull a couple of times in each stage.
For the finest blades, you may repeat this process 2 or 3 times for a total of 5 pulls. But be careful as your blade will become exceptionally sharp. This process is safe but you need to hold the sharpener with the left hand just to ensure it stays in place. Since its made from stainless steel, you can press against the sharpener as hard as needed to keep it in place.
In pictures, this best electric knife sharpener looks larger than it is. It’s mostly why I’d recommend it in a kitchen where it sits somewhere visible. On the counter or a shelf is where this looker sits best. Unlike other plastic-made electric knife sharpeners, you don’t want to keep it hidden. Since it looks so good and since its quite small, you may keep it at hand at all times.
Made from stainless steel, it also allows easy cleaning. A simple cloth can remove excess oil or moist from the knife sharpener. Even a kitchen paper towel can do its job to keep it clean. You should ensure all metal shavings are removed after each sharpening process.
Taking a Closer Look at on Knife Sharpening
If you’re a beginner when it comes to sharpening your knives, here are some tips that should help you out:
- Sharpen your knives because it’s safer that way. It’s not actually true that a somewhat dull knife is safer for you because it’s less likely to cut your finger. In fact, it’s more dangerous. When you have a very sharp knife, you need less force to cut through your food. This lets you more able to control your knife so that it goes exactly where you want it to.
- On the other hand, a dull knife requires more force to cut through your ingredients. This means that your fingers are more likely to slip, and the sudden burst of speed may also result in an accidental cut.
- A sharp knife is also better for the taste of your dishes. It’s been found out that a dull knife actually wrecks the food on a cellular level. The lack of sharpness doesn’t just mar the appearance of your food, but it also causes the taste to deteriorate. In addition, a dull knife makes food preparation much slower.
- Use either a manual “pull through” sharpener or an electric knife sharpener. That’s because these systems offer excellent results with minimal effort and in a very short amount of time.
- If you value convenience and time-saving, then you may want to forego sharpening stones and steel rods for now. These take a long time to learn properly, and for newbies, they’re just impractical unless you can devote some tome to mastering these things.
- Make sure the features work for your knives. Some people may also want to sharpen their serrated bread knives, but then some knife sharpeners don’t work on serrated blades, so beware.
- Sharpen your knives before they get too dull. This minimizes the time and effort it takes to keep the cutting edge sharp. But how long should you wait before you sharpen your knife again?
- If it’s a cheap knife that you use several times a day, you may need to sharpen the knife every 2 weeks. But a tough high-quality knife that doesn’t lose its edge easily may only need to be sharpened every 3 months or so.
- Your best bet here is to note the date when you sharpen the knife, and then note the date when you realize that it has become dull. That should give you a proper time frame so that you can sharpen the knife before it becomes dull.
- Color the edge of the knife with a sharpie before you start. This will tell you which parts of the edge have been sharpened, and which parts haven’t been sharpened yet.
- Clean the knife after you sharpen it. This may go without saying, but you mustn’t forget this. You really don’t want to have small bits of metal in your dishes!
So what is the best electric knife sharpener? Obviously, you’re going to your own personal preferences and needs, and what’s best for you may not be suitable for another. However, if you’re looking to sharpen everything in your home that needs to be sharpened, and you want to do it well, easily, and quickly, then you may want to really look at the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition.
This thing works for everything, and it works so well. In fact, it makes sharpening your knives, scissors, lawnmower blades, machetes, and even shovels somehow fun. All you just need to at first is to follow the instructions faithfully, and pretty soon you’ll master it in no time.
You’ll then find yourself searching for other stuff to sharpen, just because it’s so satisfying when you start with dull cutting edges and you end up with razor-sharp knives because of this best electric knife sharpener.