When’s a knife not a knife? It’s when the cutting edge is dull, which is why you need the best knife sharpener that fits your needs. The main problem, of course, is that it’s not always easy to buy the knife sharpener on the market. There are many types of sharpeners, and you need to take note of the type of knives you have.
You also have to take your personal preferences into account. What’s more, the wrong knife sharpener won’t just waste your money but it can ruin your knives too. So what is the best knife sharpener? To answer that question, we’ve compiled several excellent sharpeners of different types with different features, so that you may find that fits your exact needs.
Table of Contents
- Top 3 – Best Knife Sharpeners
- Our Best Pick Knife Sharpener List in 2020
- Top 19 Best Knife Sharpener Reviews in 2020
- Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener
- Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
- Work Sharp Wood Tool Sharpener
- Chef’sChoice 1520 AngleSelect Diamond Hone Electric Knife Sharpener
- Chef’sChoice 120 Diamond Hone EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
- Presto EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
- Chicago Cutlery Insignia Knife Set with In-Block Sharpener
- Edge Pro Apex 1 Best Knife Sharpener Kit
- Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multi-Function Sharpener
- Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker Set
- Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twinsharp Knife Sharpener
- Brod & Taylor Professional Knife Sharpener
- Wusthof PEtec Electric Sharpener
- Work Sharp Culinary E5 Kitchen Knife Sharpener
- Maxman Multi-Functional Electric Knife Sharpener
- Edge Pro Apex 3 Best Kitchen Knife Sharpener Kit
- Wüsthof Hand-Held Kitchen Knife Sharpener
- Ehoyal Kitchen Knife Sharpener
- Knife Sharpeners Scissor Sharpening Multi-tool
- How to Choose the Best Knife Sharpener: Just Follow Simple 6 Steps
- Top Tips on Buying the Best Knife Sharpener
- Relevant Resources
Top 3 – Best Knife Sharpeners
|Image||Product Name||Features||Latest Price|
|Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife & Tool Sharpener||Check Price|
|Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV Electric Knife Sharpener||Check Price|
|Work Sharp Wood Tool Sharpener||Check Price|
Our Best Pick Knife Sharpener List in 2020
Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition. This is the electric knife sharpener you need when you have knives of all types, plus scissors and even yard maintenance tools to sharpen. It’s so easy to use that knife sharpening stops being a chore but becomes a fun hobby. Chef’s Choice Trizor XV. This is what you get when you need something for your 15-degree angle Asian knives.
You get fast results from this sharpener, and the resulting sharpness of the cutting edge is terrific. Work Sharp WS3000. This is the sharpener you need if you’re a woodworker and you need to sharpen your woodworking tools like your chisels and lathe tools. You can also use this for various types of knives, including hunting knives and gourmet knives.
Chef’s Choice 1520. Here you have 3 slots you stick your knife in. One is for Asian knives, the other is for Western knives, and the third is for the finishing touches for both—and for serrated blades. There’s even a 3-year warranty. Chef’s Choice 120. It’s not just for gourmet Asian or Western knives.
It also works for butcher knives and hunting knives. They all get that sharpness brought on by the special 3-stage process and you get a 3-year warranty. Presto 08800 Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener. It’s cheap because it’s an old design, but it’s a design that works. You can use this for all your kitchen knives, and you can throw in your yard maintenance tools too.
Top 19 Best Knife Sharpener Reviews in 2020
If you’re looking for the best knife sharpener kit, many consider this a likely contender. What really sets it apart is that it’s very versatile, as you can use it to sharpen kitchen knives and hunting knives.
In fact, it’s not limited to just knives like pen knives and fishing knives. You can use this to sharpen an axe or a machete, and even the blades on your lawn mower. These are great with scissors too. In fact, there’s a scissor guide built in with a 65-degree angle.
For the other blades, you can adjust the angle from 15 to 30 degrees. You can choose among 1-degree increments, and all you need to do is to turn a knob for the angle you want. This is a kit with various grades of abrasive belts for different types of knives, and you can just buy other optional attachments if you need to use it for ceramic knives or for precision tools.
This is the knife sharpener best only for 15-degree knives, though you can use it to convert wider angle knives to the Asian style. You may want to do that because this conversion can turn a knife into a more effective cutting tool, and it may last longer too.
It also prolongs the lifespan of the knife by minimizing the amount of metal it takes off from the knife. This is via a 3-stage process, with diamond abrasives of varying coarseness for the first 2 stages, then a stropping disk for the 3rd stage.
This stropping disk can also work in sharpening your serrated knives too. That means even your bread knives can improve.
Are you looking for the best sharpener, not for knives, but mainly for your woodworking tools? Then look no further, as you’ve found it.
This is a sharpener that’s designed primarily for lathe tools, carving tools, chisels, and plane irons. There’s also a sharpening port that can accommodate blades with widths ranging from 0.125 inches to 2 inches.
If you know how to sharpen freehand without a guide, then you can use this for larger blades too. Meanwhile, you can just adjust the angle from 20 to 35 degrees, and you have preset angles to choose from for consistent results.
The 1520 tag is because it can sharpen both Japanese knives (which are usually at 15 degrees) and American and European knives (20 degrees). Many chefs don’t limit themselves to a single style, so this is a very suitable option for these chefs.
What really helps sell this sharpener is the utter simplicity of the design. You just insert the knife in the proper slot in the sharpener, and you’re good to go.
One slot is for 15 degrees while the other slot is for 20 degrees. The 3rd slot is for the finishing touches, and you can also use this slot to sharpen your serrated bread knives.
Chef’s Choice sharpeners are known for their excellent 3-stage sharpening process that uses diamond abrasives, along with their terrific 3-year warranty. All these are present in the 120.
Still, some of Chef’s Choices sharpeners can only be used for certain specialized types of knives. This time, the gloves come off and you can sharpen more types of knives.
This means you can sharpen not just any type of gourmet knife, but you can also restore the edge of the knives you use for butchering. It works for serrated knives too, and even hunting knives can get back their sharp cutting edge with this.
Who says every good electric knife sharpener has to cost more than a hundred bucks? Not Presto, apparently, since this one costs under 35 and that’s with the delivery included.
You don’t even have to worry about low quality because the low price here doesn’t mean that Presto used cheap materials for this. The low price is because the design was launched many years earlier, and now new designs have entered the market, that’s all.
Since you need a sharpener for your knives, why not buy a knife and sharpener set? That’s what you get here: it’s an 18-piece knife block set with an in-block knife sharpener.
What this means is that you get 17 different knives with high-carbon stainless-steel full-tang blades, and there’s an extra slot to sharpen every knife in the set. There’s no fuss at all.
This is our main exception to our hundreds of reviews criteria, and that’s not because it’s not popular. It’s mainly because it’s still comparatively new, so it hasn’t had much time yet to gather a huge number of customer reviews.
It’s also not an electric sharpener, but a manual device that uses water stones. You hold the knife with your left hand (if you’re right-handed), and then you use your right hand to move the stone on the rod over the cutting edge.
There are lots of videos you can watch online for this, and you can also watch how to set up the system.
Some people want a pocket sharpener that goes well with their pocket knives, or for camping. If that’s you, then this is what you get.
This one is like the Swiss Army Knife of sharpeners. There’s a carbide slot and a ceramic slot, and then there’s a tapered diamond rod that works great for serrated blades.
Despite the name of this device, it’s not limited to sharpening your knives. You can also use this to sharpen fish hooks, awls, punches, and even your darts.
It’s also not an electric device either. Instead, it has a base in which there’s a steel rod, which you then use to sharpen your tools.
Your purchase already comes with 2 ceramic stones, and all the parts can be put into a free carrying bag. There’s also an instructional leaflet and a DVD, though you can watch this video online so you get a better idea of how to use this thing.
At a 30-degree sharpening angle, this knife sharpener is reliable. As its affordable, it attracts a lot of knife enthusiasts and for some, it offers the right sharpening design without unnecessary accessories. It can be the best cheap knife sharpener with its stainless steel design.
If you’re wondering if such a sharpener can last a long time, you don’t need to worry. Even storing it in the kitchen where the humidity is higher, it will still stay rust-free. With its stainless steel construction, it also looks great alongside other appliances.
2 module positions are included in this tool. With regular sharpening, all knives can stay as good as new. This sharpener maintains a good edge. Up to a professional design, it may be all that’s needed for those who are into knives a bit more than the average home user. If you don’t care about your knives at all, you don’t necessarily need such a large sharpener.
Using it is not different from using any other knife sharpener. A few strokes through the 2 sharpening stages are sufficient every few months to keep your blades sharp. But what I like about this design is that it stays in place at both stages of sharpening. It offers a valuable design that won’t wobble around during the sharpening strokes.
Always seen among the best knife sharpener reviews, Brod & Taylor’s release impresses with its simplicity and durability. Made with Austrian materials, it is a sharpener made to last. I even remember a chef telling me about how it kept all of his knives sharp for years.
Part of its success lies in its simple construction. Two pieces of tungsten carbide are used on the sharpener and they offer one of the most efficient precision sharpening processes. It doesn’t even require you to take the blade out of the sharpener during the honing process.
This is also why it’s so orientated towards beginners as well. Its safety can’t be overlooked. There have been too many cuts on my hands and as any chef knows, they take time to heal and they can come in the worst moments.
At both 12 and 20 degrees, it offers one of the best sharpening tools even for beginners. Some of them might find the tool simplistic. But even its steel base is everything truly needed for the best knives. Another major advantage is given by its design. I see it as one of the most beautiful releases from the best knife sharpeners category for years. This is also why I see it on YouTube on various food channels.
As one of the best budge knife sharpeners, it impresses all users. This electric knife sharpener shows its true value on kitchen knives. It is on these blades that its 14-degree angle works for the finest cutting blade.
However, things are a bit different when it comes to pocket knives or hunting knives. They are usually sharpened with 20-degree sharpeners. This is due to the fact they are made to take more abuse and even stay sharper for longer than a kitchen knife.
But the electric sharpener may be used on all types of the blade as it offers superior results compared to manual sharpening. It also takes a lot less time to have the blade go through the 3 stages of sharpening than using a honing stone by hand.
I know I’d like to see it in the kitchen and restaurants more. Since you don’t have to be a chef to use it, this knife may even be sharpened by other food industry workers. But being electric also means it needs a bit better care.
An electric knife sharpener cannot simply be left in high humidity areas. Humidity will damage its components sooner than expected. Dropping it is another way of ending its life.
It’s not a simple piece of metal as it comes with a motor which needs to be protected. If you have the space for it and you can handle it without any shocks, it can offer considerably sharper blades compared to other manual knife sharpeners.
This duo made out of an electric knife sharpener and a ceramic honing nod can be one of the most interesting value packs to consider. As one of the best knife sharpening tools, it offers solid results based on its programming function. A ceramic honing rod is also added in the pack to keep blades sharp in-between honing.
It takes about 90 seconds to sharpen a knife with this sharpener. 3 settings allow you to sharpen, hone and shape your blades. But what I like the most about this product is its use of various sharpening belts.
Made to provide valuable results at 15 degrees and 20-degree sharpening, these belts offer one of the best solutions for those seeking the ultimate blades. A master kit of sharpening belts is also sold by the manufacturer.
For sure, I don’t like running around to look for new sharpening belts. But once a year, I’d just order the belt kit from Work Sharp. This kit allows you the practical experience of an electric sharpener. Furthermore, as one of the best knife sharpeners, the E5 has also won the 2018 Innovation Award in its category.
This multi-tool can be seen in many households across the country. It impresses even those seeking the ultimate results with power tools and accessories sharpening. This is why I’d see it in a home where there are many other tools to sharpen apart from knives.
You can ground scissors with it. You can sharpen drill bits with the sharpener. Straight-edged chisels grinding is also supported. But of course, you can also sharpen a knife with it as well. There are a few advantages to this tool which might make you want to use it even more.
It requires no physical effort as the grinding and sharpening process is based on an electric motor. It reduces dangerous blade sharpening habits. If you don’t know what you’re doing, you can cut yourself with manual sharpening. But most importantly, the knife sharpener saves time.
You don’t need to spend too much time figuring out every single step to sharp blades. These blades can be those of a kitchen knife or a hunting knife given its 15 to 50-degree cutter head adjustability. What I like is that in all angles, it only takes a few seconds to sharpen blades.
For knives, it works with widths between 6 and 51mm. This covers just about every knife found at home or in a restaurant. If you’re running a business, you may also rely on it to have all your tools sharp and ready to go. Hover, its multi-function comes with a few drawbacks. It certainly needs plenty of storage space. It might not work simply stored on a kitchen counter.
We were impressed with this product from the first look because it comes with a sturdy looking carry bag that you can tell is made only of high-quality materials. It was also well sewn together, and you couldn’t say that it was made as an afterthought.
The size of the whole thing also makes for easy storage. It has a simple yet beautiful and modern design, and it’s not bulky so you can place it anywhere. Setting up the knife sharpener is not a problem because of the instructional materials that the kit comes with.
These consist of a booklet and DVD for instructional videos, which may we add were thoroughly made. This is very helpful to those who don’t have any prior experiences in sharpening knives. Beginner or not, you are unlikely to encounter a problem with this one.
This knife sharpener is very easy to use that you don’t even have to think about what you’re doing. You could adjust the angle that you want to sharpen your knife in. It does the job with such precision that you can really only find in a top quality product.
We tested it on the best kitchen knives we had – big and small, very old and relatively new – each one was sharpened like it needed to be without a hassle. It’s expensive but it truly is worth the price.
First of all, it’s a lot cheaper than previous ones we have reviewed so far, but this doesn’t go down in quality that much. It comes in a typical size for knife sharpeners so it’s easy to store in your kitchen cabinet.
It has a rubberized base so that you get a good grip on it while you sharpen knives, and that is really important when you’re dealing knives. It’s not just for the kitchen knives – it comes with a separate slot for sharpening scissors as well.
While it’s simply designed, it’s built well and is very sturdy. We didn’t expect much after going through several incredible (not to mention more expensive) knife sharpeners prior to this, but it actually worked quite well when we tested it.
One knife that I had never sharpened from the day my husband bought and first used it turned out so sharp that it cut through a potato like we’re running out of time. Just run the knife blade along each of the slots for a few times or until you feel it catch, and voila, no more dull, useless cutters. This is just as good as the best sharpening stone for kitchen knives, and it comes cheap. What more can you ask for?
As one of the best manual kitchen knife sharpeners, Ehoyal’s product is now at its second release. It impresses just about anyone looking to add a bit more cutting quality to their knives. With no more dull blades, it represents a durable design that is fully in the control of the user.
I like its tungsten carbide sharpeners. It hones and it polishes the knives from all angles. For me, this is one of the true beasts when it comes to the daily capacity of a busy chef or kitchen porter. Why would anyone invest in anything bigger?
I’ve seen it sharpening all types of knives. From regular supermarket knives to artsy Japanese releases, it does its job like no other. Of course, ceramic blades are not to be used on the knife sharpener. But many other types of blades can be used on it for the best results. Cutting a clean slice of meat is not impossible.
I’ve even impressed my mom with how sharp her knives can be with a similar tungsten carbide sharpener. The most surprising aspect was that where knives were not expensive at all as she got them from her local general store.
As one of the best-rated kitchen knife sharpeners, it is an all-in-one solution. It works on all types of knives. If I could only choose one product, this would probably be it. I’ve also offered it as a gift to many of my friends due to its versatility.
It includes a triple magic stone with scissor magic stones to sharpen all types of knives. If you cut your chicken and turkey with the knife, this is also the sharpening tool you need. It is not the best electric knife sharpener for kitchen knives as it is based on manual use. But the manufacturer designed it with a large ABS plastic grip. It firmly stays in place while preventing all possible accidents.
With 4 types of stones, it makes all knives in a kitchen cut like professional knives. It fine grinds and it refines the blades in a way in which you’d not expect from such an affordable release. It also saves money as it replaces multiple knife sharpeners.
How to Choose the Best Knife Sharpener: Just Follow Simple 6 Steps
What good are your knives if you don’t keep them sharp? As the saying goes, “A sharp knife is a safe knife,” so investing in a good knife sharpener to care for your knives and other edged tools. With so many options on the market right now, how do you choose the best one? Here are things to consider.
- Set a budget. Some knife sharpeners are more expensive than others, but that doesn’t mean that they are better. There is no pressure and spend only within how much you are comfortable to spend on a sharpener.
- How quickly do you want your sharpener to be? There are kitchen knife sharpeners that have speed adjustment settings. These are the best choices if you are a beginner and want to pick up the pace over time.
- If you really want quick sharpening, go for electric sharpeners. They may be more costly than manual ones, but they work faster and more efficiently.
- Look at the kind of knives you have. If you have invested in expensive kitchen knives, consider investing in a good sharpener as well so you know you are taking care of them. Find a brand that has a reputation for being gentle with knives and test them first on cheaper ones to be sure that they don’t leave scratches.
- If you choose a manual sharpener for your knives, remember that you will have to learn how to properly sharpen them without scratching and damaging them.
- If you are going to buy a knife sharpener, make sure to do some reading and research well on the products that you are considering. With today’s technology, it’s now easy to find product reviews online. However, take these reviews only as a guide and with a grain of salt.
Top Tips on Buying the Best Knife Sharpener
- You have to read a lot of reviews. Start with our knife sharpener reviews, and then follow the links for the seller’s page where there are also lots of customer reviews. These reviews can provide a more accurate idea of what you can expect from a particular knife sharpener. Keep in mind that sometimes the admin may describe what seems like the best knife sharpener in the world. But the customer reviews may tell a different story.
- Pick only those with high average ratings. It’s a rule of thumb in online shopping, that top rated knife sharpener models with high average ratings are those that will probably work very well.
- As much as possible, also choose among the more popular models. These top knife sharpener models are popular for a reason, which is why they have high ratings and hundreds (or maybe even thousands) of reviews.
- Also, pay special attention to the most recent reviews. When a sharpener has been on the market for several years, a manufacturer may suddenly decide to reduce the quality of their popular and widely-praised sharpener. At least with the new best knife sharpener reviews, you can be sure that the recently made units are still as good as the earlier ones.
- What do you want to sharpen? Some people just want a sharpener for their prized Japanese sushi knives. Or perhaps you want to sharpen just about everything with a cutting edge in your home, including your hunting knives, scissors, yard maintenance tools, or even woodcarving tools. So when you read the product features, check if it can accommodate what you want to sharpen. You can confirm these capabilities in the customer reviews as well.
- Get your priorities straight. Some people prefer to buy the best budget knife sharpener only from a certain price range. That’s understandable (we’re not all rich) but you can’t just get the cheapest model and call it a day.
- Check just how sharp the knife gets after using a sharpener by reading the customer reviews. Usually, a really good sharpener will have most reviewers remarking on just how sharp their knives become afterwards.
- You may want to also read about how easy it is to learn to use a sharpener, how easy it is to use, and how quickly you can sharpen knives. Some types of sharpeners (like wet stones) may take as much as half an hour to sharpen a knife, while an electric sharpener may take only a few seconds.
- Read the tips on how to use the sharpener properly. Can you be sure you can follow those instructions and tips? If they’re too complicated, you may need a simpler model. Even the best rated knife sharpener is useless for you if you can’t use it properly!
The best knife sharpener here depends on your needs and preferences, and we can’t really know what that is, to be honest. So the truth is that you’re the best judge to determine what’s the best knife sharpener is for you, not us.
Having said that, here’s the thing: there’s really something unique about the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition. It doesn’t just provide sharp knives or that it’s very versatile. It not only that it’s easy to use.
What sets it apart is that it’s fun to use. With the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition, you enjoy your time sharpening various tools, so that when you’re done it’s like you’re disappointed. That’s because you still want to sharpen more tools…
The others may be easy to use and offer sharp edges for your knives afterwards. But none of them are as addictive as the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition.