When’s a knife not a knife? It’s when the cutting edge is dull, which is why you need the best knife sharpener that fits your needs.
The main problem, of course, is that it’s not always easy to buy the knife sharpener on the market. There are many types of sharpeners, and you need to take note of the type of knives you have.
You also have to take your personal preferences into account. What’s more, the wrong knife sharpener won’t just waste your money but it can ruin your knives too.
Table of Contents
- Best Pick Knife Sharpener – Comparison
- A Preview: Our Best Pick Knife Sharpener List in 2019
- Top 10 Best Knife Sharpener Reviews in 2019
- 1. WorkSharp WSKTS KO Ken – Our Best Choice Knife Sharpener
- 2. Chef’s Choice Trizor XV – Best Electric Sharpener Under $200
- 3. Work Sharp WS3000 – Best Wood Tool Sharpener
- 4. Chef’s Choice 1520 – Best for Serrated Knives
- 5. Chef’s Choice 120 – Best for All Fine Edge Knives
- 6. Presto 08800 Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener – Best Kitchen And Sporting Knives
- 7. Chicago Cutlery Insignia – 18 Piece Knife Set with In-Block Sharpener
- 8. Edge Pro Apex 1 – Best Manual Water Stones Sharpener
- 9. Smith’s Pocket Pal – Cheap Pocket Sharpener
- 10. Spyderco Sharpmaker Knife Sharpener
- Top Tips on Buying the Right Knife Sharpener
So what is the best knife sharpener? To answer that question, we’ve compiled several excellent sharpeners of different types with different features, so that you may find that fits your exact needs.
Best Pick Knife Sharpener – Comparison
|Name||Brand||Weight||Dimension||View on Amazon|
|Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition||Work Sharp||0.44 pound||6.5 x 11 x 5.8 inches||Check Price|
|Chef’sChoice 15 XV Trizor Professional||EdgeCraft||4.7 pound||12 x 6.2 x 6.4 inches||Check Price|
|Work Sharp WS3000 Wood Tool Sharpener||Work Sharp||15.7 pound||12.8 x 11.2 x 10.8 inches||Check Price|
|Chef’sChoice AngleSelect 1520||EdgeCraft||5 pound||12 x 6.2 x 6.4 inches||Check Price|
|Chef’sChoice 120 Diamond Hone Pro||Chef’s||4.7 pound||12 x 6.2 x 6.2 inches||Check Price|
|Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric||Presto||1 pound||9.9 x 7.2 x 4.8 inches||Check Price|
|Chicago Cutlery 18-Piece Insignia Steel Knife||Chicago||13 pounds||13.9 x 12.8 x 7.8 inches||Check Price|
|Edge Pro Apex 1 Knife Sharpener Kit||Edge Pro||3 pounds||5.5 x 1 x 18 inches||Check Price|
|Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction||Smith’s||0.32 pound||3.5 x 1 x 0 inches||Check Price|
|Tri-Angle Sharpmaker||Spyderco||1.3 pounds||7 x 0.5 x 1 inches||Check Price|
A Preview: Our Best Pick Knife Sharpener List in 2019
Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition. This is the electric knife sharpener you need when you have knives of all types, plus scissors and even yard maintenance tools to sharpen. It’s so easy to use that knife sharpening stops being a chore but becomes a fun hobby.
Chef’s Choice Trizor XV. This is what you get when you need something for your 15-degree angle Asian knives. You get fat results from this sharpener, and the resulting sharpness of the cutting edge is terrific.
Work Sharp WS3000. This is the sharpener you need if you’re a woodworker and you need to sharpen your woodworking tools like your chisels and lathe tools. You can also use this for various types of knives, including hunting knives and gourmet knives.
Chef’s Choice 1520. Here you have 3 slots you stick your knife in. One is for Asian knives, the other is for Western knives, and the third is for the finishing touches for both—and for serrated blades. There’s even a 3-year warranty.
Chef’s Choice 120. It’s not just for gourmet Asian or Western knives. It also works for butcher knives and hunting knives. They all get that sharpness brought on by the special 3-stage process and you get a 3-year warranty.
Presto 08800 Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener. It’s cheap because it’s an old design, but it’s a design that works. You can use this for all your kitchen knives, and you can throw in your yard maintenance tools too.
Top 10 Best Knife Sharpener Reviews in 2019
1. WorkSharp WSKTS KO Ken – Our Best Choice Knife Sharpener
If you’re looking for the best knife sharpener kit, many consider this a likely contender. What really sets it apart is that it’s very versatile, as you can use it to sharpen kitchen knives and hunting knives.
In fact, it’s not limited to just knives like pen knives and fishing knives. You can use this to sharpen an axe or a machete, and even the blades on your lawn mower.
These are great with scissors too. In fact, there’s a scissor guide built in with a 65-degree angle.
For the other blades, you can adjust the angle from 15 to 30 degrees. You can choose among 1-degree increments, and all you need to do is to turn a knob for the angle you want.
This is a kit with various grades of abrasive belts for different types of knives, and you can just buy other optional attachments if you need to use it for ceramic knives or for precision tools.
2. Chef’s Choice Trizor XV – Best Electric Sharpener Under $200
This is the knife sharpener best only for 15-degree knives, though you can use it to convert wider angle knives to the Asian style. You may want to do that because this conversion can turn a knife into a more effective cutting tool, and it may last longer too.
It also prolongs the lifespan of the knife by minimizing the amount of metal it takes off from the knife. This is via a 3-stage process, with diamond abrasives of varying coarseness for the first 2 stages, then a stropping disk for the 3rd stage.
This stropping disk can also work in sharpening your serrated knives too. That means even your bread knives can improve.
3. Work Sharp WS3000 – Best Wood Tool Sharpener
This is a sharpener that’s designed primarily for lathe tools, carving tools, chisels, and plane irons. There’s also a sharpening port that can accommodate blades with widths ranging from 0.125 inches to 2 inches.
If you know how to sharpen freehand without a guide, then you can use this for larger blades too. Meanwhile, you can just adjust the angle from 20 to 35 degrees, and you have preset angles to choose from for consistent results.
4. Chef’s Choice 1520 – Best for Serrated Knives
The 1520 tag is because it can sharpen both Japanese knives (which are usually at 15 degrees) and American and European knives (20 degrees). Many chefs don’t limit themselves to a single style, so this is a very suitable option for these chefs.
What really helps sell this sharpener is the utter simplicity of the design. You just insert the knife in the proper slot in the sharpener, and you’re good to go.
One slot is for 15 degrees while the other slot is for 20 degrees. The 3rd slot is for the finishing touches, and you can also use this slot to sharpen your serrated bread knives.
5. Chef’s Choice 120 – Best for All Fine Edge Knives
Still, some Chef’s Choices sharpeners can only be used for the certain specialized type of knives. This time, the gloves come off and you can sharpen more types of knives.
This means you can sharpen not just any type of gourmet knife, but you can also restore the edge of the knives you use for butchering. It works for serrated knives too, and even hunting knives can get back their sharp cutting edge with this.
6. Presto 08800 Eversharp Electric Knife Sharpener – Best Kitchen And Sporting Knives
Who says every good electric knife sharpener has to cost more than a hundred bucks? Not Presto, apparently, since this one costs under 35 and that’s with the delivery included.
You don’t even have to worry about low quality because the low price here doesn’t mean that Presto used cheap materials for this. The low price is because the design was launched many years earlier, and now new designs have entered the market, that’s all.
7. Chicago Cutlery Insignia – 18 Piece Knife Set with In-Block Sharpener
What this means is that you get 17 different knives with high-carbon stainless-steel full-tang blades, and there’s an extra slot to sharpen every knife in the set. There’s no fuss at all.
8. Edge Pro Apex 1 – Best Manual Water Stones Sharpener
This is our main exception to our “hundreds of reviews” criteria, and that’s not because it’s not popular. It’s mainly because it’s still comparatively new, so it hasn’t had much time yet to gather a huge number of customer reviews.
It’s also not an electric sharpener, but a manual device that uses water stones. You hold the knife with your left hand (if you’re right-handed), and then you use your right hand to move the stone on the rod over the cutting edge.
There are lots of videos you can watch online for this, and you can also watch how to set up the system.
9. Smith’s Pocket Pal – Cheap Pocket Sharpener
Some people want a pocket sharpener that goes well with their pocket knives, or for camping. If that’s you, then this is what you get.
This one is like the Swiss Army Knife of sharpeners. There’s a carbide slot and a ceramic slot, and then there’s a tapered diamond rod that works great for serrated blades.
10. Spyderco Sharpmaker Knife Sharpener
It’s also not an electric device either. Instead, it has a base in which there’s a steel rod, which you then use to sharpen your tools.
Your purchase already comes with 2 ceramic stones, and all the parts can be put into a free carrying bag. There’s also an instructional leaflet and a DVD, though you can watch this video online so you get a better idea of how to use this thing.
Top Tips on Buying the Right Knife Sharpener
- You have to read a lot of reviews. Start with our knife sharpener reviews, and then follow the links for the seller’s page where there are also lots of customer reviews. These reviews can provide a more accurate idea of what you can expect from a particular knife sharpener.
Keep in mind that sometimes the admin may describe what seems like the best knife sharpener in the world. But the customer reviews may tell a different story.
- Pick only those with high average ratings. It’s a rule of thumb in online shopping, that top rated knife sharpener models with high average ratings are those that will probably work very well.
- As much as possible, also choose among the more popular models. These top knife sharpener models are popular for a reason, which is why they have high ratings and hundreds (or maybe even thousands) of reviews.
- Also pay special attention to the most recent reviews. When a sharpener has been on the market for several years, a manufacturer may suddenly decide to reduce the quality of their popular and widely-praised sharpener. At least with the new best knife sharpener reviews, you can be sure that the recently made units are still as good as the earlier ones.
- What do you want to sharpen? Some people just want a sharpener for their prized Japanese sushi knives. Or perhaps you want to sharpen just about everything with a cutting edge in your home, including your hunting knives, scissors, yard maintenance tools, or even woodcarving tools.
So when you read the product features, check if it can accommodate what you want to sharpen. You can confirm these capabilities in the customer reviews as well.
- Get your priorities straight. Some people prefer to buy the best budget knife sharpener only from a certain price range. That’s understandable (we’re not all rich) but you can’t just get the cheapest model and call it a day.
Check just how sharp the knife gets after using a sharpener by reading the customer reviews. Usually, a really good sharpener will have most reviewers remarking on just how sharp their knives become afterwards.
You may want to also read about how easy it is to learn to use a sharpener, how easy it is to use, and how quickly you can sharpen knives. Some types of sharpeners (like wet stones) may take as much as half an hour to sharpen a knife, while an electric sharpener may take only a few seconds.
- Read the tips on how to use the sharpener properly. Can you be sure you can follow those instructions and tips? If they’re too complicated, you may need a simpler model. Even the best rated knife sharpener is useless for you if you can’t use it properly!
The best knife sharpener here depends on your needs and preferences, and we can’t really know what that is, to be honest. So the truth is that you’re the best judge to determine what’s the best knife sharpener is for you, not us.
Having said that, here’s the thing: there’s really something unique about the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition.
It doesn’t just provide sharp knives or that it’s very versatile. It not only that it’s easy to use.
What sets it apart is that it’s fun to use. With the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition, you enjoy your time sharpening various tools, so that when you’re done it’s like you’re disappointed. That’s because you still want to sharpen more tools…
The others may be easy to use and offer sharp edges for your knives afterwards. But none of them are as addictive as the Work Sharp WSKTS-KO Ken Onion Edition.