The best steak knife can change the way you experience your meals at home. Not only do they give your dining room an air of class and sophistication; they’re also incredible at helping you savor every bite of a perfectly cooked steak.
Here you’ll learn how to get the best possible value for your money when choosing a steak knife set. Our goal is to get you well in formed and ready to choose the perfect steak knives for your home. We’ll show you 7 of our favorite picks and why we think they’d be an excellent addition to your collection. Let’s get into the guide!
Table of Contents
- Top 3 – Best Steak Knifes
- Top 7 Best Steak Knifes Review in 2020
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Final Thoughts
Top 3 – Best Steak Knifes
|AmazonBasics Steak Knife Set||Check Price|
|Mercer Culinary Steak Knife||Check Price|
|Bellemain Steak Knife Set||Check Price|
Top 7 Best Steak Knifes Review in 2020
Imagine cutting into a steak that’s so perfectly cooked, the meat practically falls off. Now imagine that being ruined by a poor quality steak knife that cuts like a plain butter knife. It hurts, doesn’t it? We’ll look at 7 of the best steak knives that’ll preserve the integrity and taste of your expertly cooked steaks.
You and your guests will appreciate your cooking even more. We’ll take a look at what’s unique about each of the knives/knife sets and what’s important to know. You’ll learn what we did and didn’t like about each of the knives to give you a better idea of how they perform in the real world. Let’s take a look!
Let’s kick off our best steak knife review with this beautiful 8-piece kitchen and steak knife set. These knives are very easy to hold and use. They all come with a full tang and full bolster. You get good clearance when you’re cutting with extra force and your fingers are safe.
The build quality is very durable and the handle is triple-riveted for extra robustness. Hand washing isn’t too difficult (unless you have to wash all 8 of them). You’re getting excellent value for your money considering there are 8 knives in this set. They’ll need a fair bit of care (keep them dry and stored away from warm, humid spots).
The micro-serrated edges won’t ever need to be sharpened. I find the teeth to be a little thick and can end up tearing the meat, as opposed to cutting through it. This isn’t always the case, but it’s worth pointing out.
- Triple-riveted full-tang handles for great balance and durability
- No need to sharpen the micro-serrated edges
- Full bolter for enhanced safety and comfort
- Great value for money for an 8-piece set
- You can only hand wash these and they aren’t dishwashers friendly
- Keep them dry or they’ll get rust spots quite easily
P.S. Serrated knives need to and should be sharpened, just not that often. Sharpening a serrated knife is easier than you think, so long as you have the right tools to get the job done.
Also Read: Best Cheese Knife Reviews And Buying Guide
This knife comes in at 6” – the perfect length for a home-use best steak knife. It’s more comfortable to hold than many similarly priced steak knives. Despite coming without a serrated edge, this knife shreds through the meat. It’s fantastic for cutting chicken very close to the bone without tearing the meat. You’ll need to make sure you keep this beast as sharp as possible to enjoy it.
The quality of the handle is great and the little lip at the edge helps to keep your hand from slipping up the shaft of the handle. Since the blade uses high-carbon quality steel, it’s very resistant to rusting and corrosion. Make sure you don’t leave the knife wet on your counter-top, or you’ll have to deal with annoying stains.
- Cr Mo V15 high carbon steel is stain and rust-resistant
- Non-serrated edge is often more efficient as slicing and chopping when it’s kept sharp
- Ergonomic handle with a lip at the end to stop your hand from slipping
- Limited lifetime warranty against defects
- Sometimes a serrated edge would be better for a steak knife
- Needs loads of maintenance and care to keep it sharp and clean
Here’s a 4-knife set that’s absolutely gorgeous. They’ll immediately catch your eye when you’re laid out on the table. You’re getting some weighty (though not too heavy) and extremely well-balanced knives that are robust and hold their edges superbly. They come sharp right out the box and you won’t need to sharpen them often.
Make sure that your care and maintenance routine is on-point as these knives are quite prone to rust spots and corrosion. Never use them in the dishwasher and keep them dry between uses. This isn’t much of an issue as the bolster and transition from the handle to the blade is super-smooth. It doesn’t catch and is easy to clean.
This is one of my top picks for best steak knife sets because the knives stay so sharp for so long when they’re used for their intended purposes. Having the best steak knives doesn’t mean you’ll be cooking great steaks. Put your knives to work on high-quality cooking learned from one of the greatest!
- Surgically rust-free blades that come super-sharp right out the box
- Uses ice-tempered steel that keeps its edge longer than heat-tempered steel
- Stunning full tang handle with a slightly elevated spine for easier use
- Smooth transition from handle to blade
- Rusting can be quite a problem if you aren’t surgical with your care and maintenance
- Not dishwasher friendly
Also Read: Best Carving Knife in 2020
You’re getting a cheap knife set that hasn’t been cheaply made. The durability is excellent – so long as you’re willing to take good care of them. These knives are exquisitely sharp and pride themselves on cutting meat without any tearing. This holds up in practice and they’re some of the sharpest serrated steak knives you’ll find for this price.
The black color of the set immediately grabs your attention. They have a stealthy and classy look that’s unique. You’re getting great value for your money. These are some of the best-serrated steak knives you’re going to find that is this affordable, look this good, and are durable enough to be a reliable addition to your collection.
- Gorgeous black knife design is unique and demands attention
- One of the best value for money deals for an 8-piece set
- Excellent cutting power and sharpness so minimal meat tearing
- Handles are superbly designed and very ergonomic – feels light in your hands
- Black coating can come off if you don’t take good care of the knives
- Engraved writing isn’t attractive and detracts from the overall impression
Here’s a premium quality knife set that would make an awesome gift set. The knives are objectively beautiful and feature a full tang design with 3 rivets. This is a durable best steak knife set that’s designed to last. You’ll need to take care of these knives as their edges can be quite fragile.
They use slightly softer steel (HRC 58) which means they’re a little easier to sharpen – but can be damaged through misuse. The knives feel large and solid in your hands. You can immediately feel their premium design and the craftsmanship behind them.
Despite this larger size, they’re very easy to hold and don’t feel weighty in your hands. They’re a great choice if you have large hands and want something comfortable. You’re getting one of our favorite picks for best-rated steak knives for the money. This would make an excellent addition to your complete home knife set.
- Premium quality with solid and thick high-quality handles
- Hand-polished and forged HRC 58 steel that stays razor-sharp for longer
- Lifetime 100% warranty and guarantee
- 17° angle on each side of the blade gives an exquisitely sharp edge that’s easy to maintain
- Quite pricey compared to some of the knives we’ve already looked at
- Handle is a little too long compared to the overall size of the knife
Also Read: Best Bread Knife of 2020
If you have older kids and you want to get them off using plastic knives, but not jump into high-end premium knives just yet – this might be your solution. It’s a cheap best steak knife set and this is partially reflected in their design. The handles are made from hardened plastic and the knives aren’t particularly sturdy.
Despite this, they’re still well-balanced and use stainless steel to fight against rusting and corrosion. This set is a great choice if you want to teach them how to properly use a balanced knife and to learn the right techniques. It’s not the best quality steak knife set you’ll ever use, but it delivers surprising quality when you consider how low the price is.
- Extremely affordable and great for older kids to use
- Well-balanced despite the plastic handle
- Great knives for learning and practicing knife techniques on
- Stainless steel blades help resist rusting and corrosion
- Handles are made of plastic so they aren’t too durable
- Not very sturdy and bend quite a bit under pressure
Here’s a top-end premium knife set that has a fantastic balance between performance, durability, and aesthetics. The Pakkawood handles are robust and very ergonomic. They don’t slip and slide, even when wet. You’re getting a full tang design with a forged bolster common in much more expensive knives. These are high-quality steak knives and some of the most reliable additions to your dining room or kitchen.
They don’t use serrated edges, but thanks to the high-quality German steel blades, they’re terrifically sharp and capable. These top-rated best steak knifes are durable, attractive, and well worth your money. They’re low maintenance and don’t need to be sharpened too frequently. Make sure to keep them dry and out of dishwashers.
- Easy to maintain and re-sharpen while still having good edge retention
- Genuine Pakkawood handles are ergonomic, non-slip, and attractive
- Forged bolster better balances the knife and gives it heft
- Lifetime warranty against manufacturing and material defects
- Pricey compared to many of the knives in this review
- No serrated edges so cutting through some tissue and cartilage can be tough
Also Read: Best Paring Knives Review in 2020
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: How Do I Extend the Life of Steak Knives and Stop Them From Rusting?
A: This is a more common issue than you may think. Just one day of poor care can lead to a spot of rust – and it spreads from there. Always thoroughly dry your knives after washing them and keep them as clean as possible.
Don’t leave them lying around on counter tops and always wash them by hand. Try to get knives that use high-grade steel and have resistance to rusting and corrosion.
Q: Do I Need to Sharpen Serrated Knives?
A: The answer is yes, but it depends. Although many serrated knife manufacturers claim their knives never need to be sharpened, it’s still good practice. Just remember that they don’t need to be sharpened anywhere near as often as standard non-serrated knives.
Q: Can I Wash Steak Knives in the Dishwasher?
A: I generally avoid putting any of my knives in a dishwasher. That being said, some knives pride themselves on being dishwasher friendly and it’s one of their main selling features. If you’re in doubt, stick to hand washing all your high-quality knives.
By now, you should feel comfortable choosing a steak knife that’s just right for your home. We’ve given you some excellent sets to choose from. All that’s left is for you to make your choice. Once you’ve got the best steak knife or set in your home, you’ll be getting more quality from every piece of steak!